Who We Are
St. James Parish plays a vital role in the Wilmington community and a welcoming space for all.
Part of our heritage as Episcopalians is that our lives are centered around worship that engages the energy of the entire congregation. Therefore, full and deliberate participation by everyone is encouraged, through singing hymns, psalms, and canticles; and in reciting prayers with devotion to the unity of worship as a common experience focused in The Book of Common Prayer.
St. James Mission Statement
To welcome all to grow in love of God and neighbor.
St. James Vision Statement
To build community through ministries that strengthen our faith.
New to the Episcopal Church? Here is a great resource for all of the different terms and traditions.
Parking is available through the week and on Sundays on Market, 3rd, Dock and 4th Streets, adjacent to the church. Although the street parking is free, please note that on weekdays, parking on Market, 3rd and 4th Streets (other than the block of 4th Street behind the church property) is restricted to 2 hours, after which parking fines may be imposed by the City of …Read More »
Services at St. James
8:00 a.m. Worship: We gather for Holy Eucharist, led by a traditional Rite I liturgy. This quiet service does not include music.
9:00 a.m. Worship: We gather for a more informal Holy Eucharist, guided by Rite II liturgy. The music reflects varied styles, a shorter sermon and special opportunity for young people (children and youth) to participate as leader…Read More »
- Get to know the St. James Parish Community. We have several ways to get information about what's happening each week.
- Christian formation is the lifelong process of growing in our relationship with God, self, others, and all creation. It is an ongoing apprenticeship in Christian life, a lifelong venture that broadens and deepens our faith and knowledge. We call it formation, rathe…
The establishment of St. James Parish occurred in November 1729 when the General Assembly of the colony of Carolina approved legislation which said: "The Southernmost Boundary of the Province shall be and is hereby appointed a separate and district parish by the name of St. James." Many years passed before the first church building was completed in 1751. In order to finish the ch…Read More »
Mt. Lebanon Chapel welcomes all who would worship here. We urge all who enter to spend a moment of quiet surrounded by the peace of God which passeth all understanding.
In the early 1830s, Dr. Thomas Henry Wright conceived the idea to build Lebanon Chapel. The chapel was to serve those members of St. James who lived in the vicinity of the Greenville, Wrightsville, Mason…Read More »
Vestry members serve as trustees of the parish, taking charge of church property and regulating its temporal (secular) concerns. The vestry consists of lay people elected by communicants in good standing, ages 16 and older. In general, vestry members help minister in whatever manner is appropriate to the laity for the furtherance of the gospel. The vestry speaks for the people of…Read More »