A Historic Project: St. James' New Roof
St. James Episcopal Church, located at the corner of 3rd Street and Market, is one of the oldest churches in Wilmington both in the continuous worship of its congregation and its physical building. The Church, a Gothic Revival structure designed by Thomas U. Walter, was built in 1839. The current roof is original to the building. After almost 200 years of storms, wear, and general aging, it comes as no surprise that a new roof is needed.
A project of this scope takes a team. With the help of Highland Roofing and Architect Ian Johnston, AIA, St. James will soon have a brand new roof that maintains the historical appeal. Construction will begin on April 12, 2021. Our community can expect to see scaffolding along the perimeter of the Church building, including those areas in the St. Francis Memorial Garden along the Church walls.
The project will last well into the summer and occupy the central lawn between the church and Bacon House. Everyone involved with the project is committed to a safe environment that will allow church services to continue inside St. James throughout the construction period. Questions regarding this project should be directed to St. James Parish Facilities Administrator, Bill McKenzie. Bill may be reached at [email protected].
If the name, Thomas U. Walter sounds familiar to you, that is likely due to his widespread influence as an architect. He was the Architect of the US Capitol in the mid-1800s. Walter also designed the US Capitol's Dome, the Chapel of the Cross in Chapel Hill, NC, as well as many other churches and municipal buildings.
Tags: St. James Parish History